WEITZEL FAMILY COFFEE CAKE
At least once a day, I find myself talking to my friend Merrill. More often than not, we discuss what we are planning to make for dinner. Between the two of us, we feed thirteen people every night. One Sunday, Merrill invited us for brunch and my husband was convinced she bought the coffee cake, as it was certainly the best he ever tasted. Being the wonderful friend that she is, she happily shared her mother-in-law's recipe with me. I always make two!
Nota bene: This cake freezes beautifully. Go ahead, make two at a time.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 10-inch spring form pan.
2. Cream butter and 1 cup sugar together. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the baking soda in with the sour cream.
4. In another bowl, mix the baking powder, salt, and flour.
5. Alternate adding the sour cream/baking soda mixture and the flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture. Don't over mix! Pour into the buttered spring form pan.
6. Mix the topping ingredients together and sprinkle topping evenly over the cake.
7. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.