CATHEAD BISCUIT, SAUSAGE & EGG SKILLET BREAKFAST
Nothing beats a good ol' southern Sunday comfort food breakfast. Pillowy, giant (as big as a cat's head) biscuits and pork sausage create a belly filling, make the night before dish that is every bit as good for breakfast as it is for dinner! Make this dish on a cold winter's day when a few extra calories help to make a gray day brighter. Better yet, burn the calories on an early morning ski run and come into a cozy house with the scent of warm bread, nutmeg, and sage wafting in the air.
Nota bene: If using prepared pre-seasoned sausage, leave out the fresh sage and pinch of red chili flakes. Trader Joe's buttermilk biscuits produce large, flaky layers and a real buttery taste. Putting the skillet on a tray keeps the biscuits from getting too dark before the eggs are cooked. Hot pork sausage may be substituted, but adjust the red pepper flake seasoning to your liking.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Butter an 11" x 8" rectangular dish or a 10" cast iron or enameled skillet and place it on a half sheet baking tray.
3. Brown the sausage, sage, and chili flakes in a skillet over medium heat. Season with salt & pepper and transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet. Set aside.
4. Whisk the eggs, milk, half & half, nutmeg, and Tabasco together.
5. Pop open the can of biscuits. Layer 8 of the biscuit pieces on the bottom of the prepared dish, sprinkle with all of the sausage and then the cheese.
6. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the biscuits (may be assembled to this point, covered and refrigerated overnight), transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
7. Check that the eggs are set and the center does not jiggle --this could take 10 minutes more. It is ready when a toothpick comes out clean and the top of the biscuits are golden.
8. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
1 pound pork sausage, crumbled
1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
7 large eggs
1 1/4 cups whole milk
3/4 cup half & half
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
Dash of Tabasco
1 can biscuits
Butter for greasing skillet
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded