RUSTIC BLACKBERRY & RASPBERRY CRUMBLES
I confess: sometimes I bake with frozen fruit. Berries are picked and flash frozen in their summertime prime. For me, this is a far superior choice to out-of-season berries available at the supermarket. My extra freezer is filled with berries we picked ourselves, or plucked from the stalls of a local farmer's market. It feels divine to eat summer sunshine in the cold Boston winter. My kids leave the house smiling when I bake these in the morning for a special breakfast before school. Ice cream at 7 a.m. makes for an impressive start to the day!
Nota bene: This dessert may be made in the morning and served after dinner. Simply cover the unbaked dishes and put into the refrigerator and bake them while clearing the dishes or just before sitting down to dinner. This dish also works with frozen fruit. Do not thaw fruit before using, but do add a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
4 pints raspberries
2 pints blackberries
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 cup castor sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
8 ounces (2 stick) unsalted butter, cold and tiny dice
High quality vanilla ice cream for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, castor sugar, and flour.
3. Place raspberries and blackberries in a large bowl. Add lemon mixture to the berries and gently toss until evenly incorporated.
3. Spoon the filling into individual cast iron skillets or porcelain oven-safe 3 ounce ramekins.
4. For the crumble, combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, and mix on medium for a few seconds.
5. Quickly add the cold butter and mix until crumbly consistency.
6. Rub the crumble together to form small, clumpy pieces and drop over fruit filling.
7. Place the individual dishes on a foiled lined half sheet baking pan and cook for 35-40 minutes, until the tops are brown, crisp, and bubbling with the juices from the filling.
8. Just before serving, scoop vanilla ice cream onto the crumbles.