ROASTED BEETROOT SALAD WITH FETA & LENTILS
This recipe comes from a friend in Zurich, Switzerland. Last Christmas, we served this to 70 people at a party, and not a lentil was left! I’ve passed along the recipe to old friends and new, and hear it’s always a hit. Adjust the amount of herbs to your liking, but remember it’s much easier to keep adding than have to take away!
8 medium sized beets, leaves and stalks trimmed
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups lentils
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
A handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
A handful of fresh chives, roughly chopped
A handful of fresh dill, roughly chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Toss the beetroots with the oil and place in a roasting tin. Cover the whole tin with foil and place in the oven to roast for 45 minutes. When ready, the beetroot should be tender when pierced with a fork.
3. While the beetroot is cooking, place the lentils in a small cooking pot and fill it with water. Place over high heat until it comes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse lentils under cold water and place in a large bowl.
4. Once the beetroots have been cooked, allow to cool and remove their skin with your fingers or a paring knife. Slice into bite size pieces.
5. Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the lentils and mix thoroughly.
6. Add the roasted beet slices, feta, red onion, and chopped herbs to the lentils and toss to combine.