GREEN GROTTO FRUIT BOWL
A Jamaican native recently opened the Green Grotto Juice Bar in L.A. This is no ordinary juice bar, but a place to grab a board game and linger in an unplugged atmosphere. So popular is this place that Jenga tournaments are held every Thursday evening over healthy, fresh pressed juices. After the owner demonstrated a magic trick with a deck of cards, he suggested this exotic fruit bowl reminiscent of his home in Jamaica. The kale, he noted, was added to appease the Californians and their green crazy notion that a salad without greens is not a salad.
Nota bene: Go ahead and experiment with the fruit. Pineapple and mango would most definitely work with the lime citrus dressing and chili flavor. Chili pequin, a smoky spicy hot chili, may be found in Latin supermarkets, or if unavailable or a milder chili taste is more palatable, ground aleppo pepper, or even the super mild pink peppercorn, are excellent choices.
4 cups baby kale
1/2 cup papaya, diced
1 large peach, diced
1 plum, diced
1/2 pint blackberries
1 avocado, diced
1 lime, cut in half
1/2 teaspoon chili pequin (or more if you love the spicy, sweet combination)
Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
1. Add the kale to a large salad bowl.
2. In a glass bowl, add the diced fruit and avocado, and squeeze one half of the lime over the fruit. Toss gently.
3. Sprinkle with the chili and sea salt and let the fruit mixture macerate for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Add the fruit to the kale bowl and squeeze the other half of the lime over the salad.
5. Toss gently to combine. Add a few pieces of fruit to the top of the salad for presentation and serve immediately.