TRUFFLE HONEY BRIE with FIGS & MARCONA ALMONDS
Heavenly dripped over Parmesano Reggiano, as an essential ingredient to TUSCAN KALE WITH TRUFFLE HONEY, PECORINO & PINE NUTS, or drizzled over fried chicken wings, truffle honey is divine when spooned over a wheel of triple crème brie, surrounded by luscious fresh figs, sprinkled with sweet, delicate Spanish Marcona almonds, and popped in the oven for ten minutes to warm and ooze into a sinful small plate. The subtle hint of white mushroom in the Cowgirl Creamery's Mt. Tam triple crème cheese is a gorgeous pairing with the woodsy truffle honey. The slight earthy taste of the truffle honey creates an intoxicating flavor when combined with just about any warm, decadent triple crème brie. Don't be surprised if guests are caught scraping the bottom of the serving vessel for the last taste of the liquid gold truffle spiked honey.
Truffle honey is expensive and a little goes a long way--often $12 for 2 ounces. Not all truffle honey is created equal. The best taste to date is MAISON PÉBEYRE TRUFFLE HONEY--best of all it arrives in an 8.8 ounce jar. Marcona almonds need to be eaten within a few days of opening the container in which they were packed. If the taste is anything but sweet and mild they have passed their prime. For oven to table serving, the 8" x 5.5" STAUB CAST IRON GRATIN OVAL BAKING DISH makes for pleasing presentation. If fresh figs are unavailable, soak several dried figs in hot water, slice into smaller pieces and use only dried--no one but the chef will miss the gorgeous pinkish flesh of the fresh figs.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place the brie in a SMALL OVEN SAFE DISH, leaving approximately 1" inch of room around the perimeter.
3. Toss 11 pieces of the fresh figs around the perimeter of the cheese and place the remaining 5 pieces on top of the cheese.
4. Sprinkle the almonds on top of the cheese and around the perimeter amongst the figs. Disperse the slices of dried figs around the dish.
5. Drizzle the truffle honey over the cheese and figs.
6. Place the dish in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese begins to ooze.
7. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with a pinch of salt flakes.
8. Serve hot from the oven with warmed baguette slices.
SERVES 4 TO 6
2 ounces TRUFFLE HONEY
10 ounce round triple crème brie
4 fresh figs, quartered
2 dried figs, sliced thinly
1/2 cup Marcona almonds
Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
Sliced baguette, warmed & sliced