Use a cut proof glove when using a mandoline. An organic lemon is best in this recipe as the zest is used to flavor the ricotta. Small zucchini are sweeter and more intensely flavored as the seeds are smaller which make the zucchini a bit drier and more suitable to this recipe.
More and more communities across America are seeing a resurgence in small, local farmers producing fruits and vegetables. CSAs, otherwise known as Community-supported agriculture, allows farmers to sell their harvest in advance at a guaranteed price. This food production and distribution system directly connects local farmers and consumers and provides access to higher quality, locally grown, seasonal produce that tastes better and is fresher, more nutritious, and free of GMOs. Getting families to eat more vegetables is easy when they are served as pizza. The basil, zucchini, and garlic arrive midsummer in New England and are a delightful ingredient list for a light, healthy, and green pizza that is ready to eat in under 15 minutes.
1 wood fired pizza crust or flatbread
1 medium ball fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1/3 cup whole milk ricotta
1 lemon, zest & juice
Freshly ground black pepper
2 small zucchini, ends removed
2 garlic cloves, minced
Extra virgin olive oil
6 basil leaves, chiffonade
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
2. Place the slices of mozzarella on the prepared flatbread.
3. In a small bowl mix together the ricotta, zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice as needed—it should have a tangy, noticeable lemony flavor. Set aside.
4. Using a hand held mandoline, or a very sharp knife, finely slice the zucchini into paper thin coins.
5. Place the zucchini on top of the cheese and crust.
6. Use a measuring teaspoon to drop dollops of the ricotta mixture over the pizza.
7. Sprinkle the pizza with the garlic and lightly drizzle the pizza with the olive oil.
8. Immediately place the pizza directly on the bottom rack of the oven. After 2 minutes, turn the oven to broil and transfer the pizza to the top rack of the oven.
9. Watch carefully. When the cheese begins to bubble and turn golden brown, remove the pizza to a round metal tray, sprinkle the basil over the pizza, slice, and serve immediately.