Ofyr Grilled Spiced Pineapple
Pollinated primarily by hummingbirds, the herbaceous perennial pineapple makes a yummy grilled tropical dessert. If the juicy fruit alone doesn't satisfy the craving, dollop a scoop of coconut ice cream in the center and a simple to prepare, but intensely flavored plate is like sweet tooth magic. This recipe is an adaptation from the Nopi cookbook of the brilliant London chef, Yotam Ottolenghi, for "Roasted Pineapple with Tamarind and Chile, and Coconut Ice Cream". The preparation lends itself nicely to simplication and the intense heat of the OFYR grill when it is just too darn hot outside to turn on the oven.
Most supermarkets, including Whole Foods, have the tools to cut and core a pineapple and usually will do it when asked as a courtesy. It is easiest to remove the peel and slice the pineapple into 1" thick rings and then carefully remove the core ring by ring if a pineapple corer is unavailable. The spiced syrup may be made a day in advance--the flavors with intensify so adjust the amount of time the pineapple rests in the liquid.
2 1/2 cups cold water
7 tablespoons caster sugar
16 whole cloves
1 large cinnamon stick, broken into 4 pieces
1 fresno chile, seeded and chopped.
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise and seeds scraped
2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons of tamarind paste
1 large pineapple, peeled & cored and cut into 6 (1") rings
Grape seed oil
6 small Thai basil sprigs, for garnish
1 pint coconut ice cream
1. Prepare the OFYR, or stoke the wood to insure the iron cook top is still blistering hot.
2. Place all of the ingredients except the pineapple, grape seed oil, and basil in a Medium Sauce Pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors infuse.
2. Place the pineapple in the pot with the spiced syrup (make sure eache ring is submerged and covered in syrup) and let sit for at least 20 minutes and up to an hour.
3. Clean and oil the OFYR cooking ring and remove the rings from the syrup on to the hot grill. Grill until the pineapple begins to caramelize on one side and then turn and grill the other side.
4. When the second side of the pineapple is caramelized, place each ring on a dessert plate, drizzle with a teaspoon of the reserved spiced syrup and place a scoop of coconut ice cream in the center of the ring. Garnish each plate with a basil sprig and serve immediately.