Quinoa, Watermelon, Kale & Feta Salad
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
1/4 cup black beluga lentils, uncooked
4 ounces feta, crumbled
1 spring onion, thinly sliced, white & light green parts only
2 cups baby kale
6 cups watermelon, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 tablespoons fresh mint, julienne
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 lemon, zest & juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large clove garlic, grated
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Rinse and drain the quinoa. Add 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and quinoa to the boiling water. Lower the heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Drain any excess water from the pot and leave the quinoa to cool.
2. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a SMALL POT. Rinse and drain the lentils. Add 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and the lentils to the boiling water, lower the heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Test for doneness. If the lentils are still hard, add 1/4 cup of water and continue boiling until they are done. Be careful not to overcook them or they will become mushy. Turn off the heat and let the lentils cool in the cooking liquid. Drain before adding to the salad.
3. In a small skillet, toast the almonds over medium low heat until fragrant and light golden brown.
4. Whisk the lemon juice, olive, and garlic together. Season with salt and pepper.
5. In a large bowl, add the quinoa, lentils, and feta. Toss the ingredients until they are equally distributed.
6. Add the onions, kale, watermelon, mint, and parsley. Toss again with your fingers until the ingredients are well distributed.
7. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss again. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Transfer the salad to a MEDIUM SERVING BOWL. Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the top of the salad and serve.
The quinoa and the lentils may be made a day in advance and stored in separate containers in the refrigerator. Add all other ingredients and the dressing just before serving.