Sofra's Beet Tzatziki
Any variety of beets works fine.
1 cup cooked, shredded candy striped, golden, or red beets
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic (about 1 clove)
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/4 lemon)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups whole-milk plain or sheep's milk yogurt
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Wash the beets. Trim the root ends off of the beets so they stand without rolling around. Rub the beets with a little vegetable oil and place them in a small, heavy roasting pan or skillet. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper to taste, pour 1/2 cup water, and cover them twice with foil. Four gold size ball beets should take 45 minutes to roast. They should be tender when poked with a fork.
3. When cool enough to handle, run the skins off with a paper towel. Grate the beets using the large holes of a box grater.
4. Place the garlic in a medium mixing bowl with the lemon juice and salt. Let it stand for about 10 minutes. This takes some of the heat out of the garlic.
5. Stir in the yogurt, olive oil and black pepper.
6. Fold in the shredded beets and dill, and re-season with salt and pepper to taste if necessary. Serve the beets cold or at room temperature.