Spring pea soup with crème fraîche & mint
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups leeks, chopped (white & light green parts only)
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
4 cups vegetable stock
2 (10 ounce) bags of frozen peas
2/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
3 teaspoons sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1. Heat the butter in a 4 Quart Dutch oven. Add the leeks and onion. Cover for 10 minutes and cook over medium-low heat until the onion is translucent and tender.
2. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a low boil. Add the peas and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Remove the pot from the heat. Add the chopped mint, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper and pour into a glass bowl to stop the cooking and preserve the vivid green color.
4. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. For an even silkier textured soup, blend the soup in a Vitamix.
5. Chill the soup for at least 2 hours.
6. Just before serving, divide the soup into shot glass and bowls, and garnish with a tiny dollop of crème fraîche.
7. Snip chives over the soup and garnish with a small whole mint leaf.
serves 6 to 8
While the recipe makes 6 to 8 bowls of soup, it easily serves 24 as a soup shooter. For the sweetest tasting soup, use frozen peas only. This soup is best chilled, but delicious warmed too.