Vanilla Granola with Honey & Almonds
Just out-of-the-oven granola fills the house with an intoxicating vanilla and brown sugar scent that encourages anyone entering to head straight for the cupboard for a spoon to dig right in. While supermarket shelves are filled with granola options, there is nothing quite like freshly toasted oats and nuts bound together with local honey. Seasonal additions of fresh or dried fruits, chocolate pieces, and toasted pepitas make for welcomed variations. Terrific with a honey drizzle and plain yogurt, this granola makes a hearty breakfast--simply pour on the milk and eat like cereal. Be careful---this heavenly scented granola is addictive.
Coconut oil spray
4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup local honey
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
fresh berries, dried apricots, toasted coconut flakes, dried cranberries (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F and lightly spray a HALF SHEET BAKING TRAY with coconut oil spray.
2. Mix oats, almonds, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
3. Over medium heat, bring coconut oil, honey, and sugar to a simmer. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
4. Pour hot liquid over oat mixture and stir until combined.
5. Spread granola on baking sheet, and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 15 minutes, remove from oven Using a spatula, turn the granola over and place back in the oven.
6. Bake 10 minutes more, or until golden brown.
7. Allow to cool and break apart. Store in airtight container.
8. Add optional ingredients just before serving.
MAKES 1 POUND
If using convection, lower the temperature 25 degrees. Begin checking for doneness at 20 minutes. Keep in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Toast the coconut flakes in a dry pan over medium low heat until golden and fragrant.