Weitzel Coffee Cake
This coffee cake is every bit as good for breakfast as afternoon tea. Classic ingredients, a light airy, yet moist, texture, and a simple topping make this a go to for brunches, garden parties, and morning satisfying off to the office bite. Sour cream is the secret weapon.When used in cake recipes, sour cream offers a beautiful balance of acidity and a fat ratio content that translates into a fine moist crumb and flavorful cake.
This cake freezes beautifully. Go ahead, make two at a time.
for the cake
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
FOR THE TOPPING
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 10-inch spring form pan.
2. Cream butter and 1 cup sugar together. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the baking soda in with the sour cream.
4. In another bowl, mix the baking powder, salt, and flour.
5. Alternate adding the sour cream/baking soda mixture and the flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture. Don't over mix! Pour into the buttered spring form pan.
6. Mix the topping ingredients together and sprinkle topping evenly over the cake.
7. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.